Thanks guys :)!

I needed to specify the applications to preview dvi, ps, pdf - which I did as Oliver Margraf suggested in his mail (Edit --> Preferences? (Einstellungen) --> file format? (Dateiformate) and then "open -a Preview" or another programme).

At least I found a way to view my file - although I don't think that e.g. the programme "Preview" is able to refresh the view. I have an ghostview installation which runs under X11. Does anybody by any chance know, whether and how I can configure LyX to use a X11-application for previewing files?

regards,
Katrin

p.s.: like Oliver I also noticed that LyX doesn't remember Acrobat Reader for previewing. Why is that?