On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Jean-Pierre Chretien wrote:

> \thispagestyle{empty} is only active in the page where it belongs
> (anywhere in the page), so you need to insert two commands of the like in
> a way such they are in pages 4 and 5.
>
> Hope it does the trick :-)

  Allow me to write that I'm quite frustrated at my inability -- with all
the help here -- to fix this problem.

  When I view the .dvi output I see that the second page of the preface (the
one with page number 4 on it) begins with an enumerated list. I tried
putting the ERT before the list enumeration (on a line of its own) and
immediately after the '1. ' for the first item. Those two pages are still
numbered! ARRRGGGH-H-H-H!!

  Might there be a clue in the .lyx file that I'm not seeing?

Many thanks,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President