On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:

> Do you have it in the heading's line? Try to set it in the next line
> (standard paragraph). I'm not sure this changes anything, though.

Juergen,

  I tried it in both places. Let me be more specific; perhaps this will
help. With \thispagestyle{empty} on a line immediately following the title
line I see this in the .dvi output:

  Title page -- unnumbered
  Publication information/copyright page -- unnumbered
  Preface (first page) -- unnumbered
  Preface (second and third pages) -- numbered 4 and 5
  Table at end of Preface -- unnumbered
  Table of Contents (first page) -- unnumbered
  Table of Contents (subsequent pages) -- numbered beginning with i
  Introduction (first page) -- unnumbered
  Subsequent pages -- numbered beginning with 2.

  So, the only pages that need to have the pagination removed are the middle
pages of the preface.

> If the above doesn't work: Can you type \pagestyle{empty} at the very
> beginning of the document, and then \pagestyle{fancy} (or whatever you are
> using) after the TOC?

  Perhaps the svmono class definition is interfering with what I want to
achieve (although it should not do so). Anyway, here's the beginning of the
.lyx file. Perhaps this will provide some insight to those more
knowledgeable than I:

#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 221
\textclass svmono
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{amsmath}

%% No pagination on part page
\renewcommand\part{%
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    \cleardoublepage
  \else
    \clearpage
  \fi
  \thispagestyle{empty}%
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    \onecolumn
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  \else
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  \fi
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]@spart}
%% end part page redefinition

\usepackage{array}
\def\PBS#1{\let\temp=\\#1\let\\=\temp}
\newcolumntype{P}[1]{>{\PBS\raggedright}p{#1}}
\end_preamble

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)