>>  I tried it in both places. Let me be more specific; perhaps this will
>>help. With \thispagestyle{empty} on a line immediately following the title
>>line I see this in the .dvi output:
>>
>>  Title page -- unnumbered
>>  Publication information/copyright page -- unnumbered
>>  Preface (first page) -- unnumbered
>>  Preface (second and third pages) -- numbered 4 and 5
>>  Table at end of Preface -- unnumbered
>>  Table of Contents (first page) -- unnumbered
>>  Table of Contents (subsequent pages) -- numbered beginning with i
>>  Introduction (first page) -- unnumbered
>>  Subsequent pages -- numbered beginning with 2.
>>
>>  So, the only pages that need to have the pagination removed are the middle
>>pages of the preface.

\thispagestyle{empty} is only active in the page where it belongs
(anywhere in the page), so you need to insert two commands of the like
in a way such they are in pages 4 and 5.
Putting it near Preface will say it twice if the title pages
are already empty....

Hope it does the trick :-)

--
Jean-Pierre