On Tuesday 04 January 2005 10:16 am, Angus Leeming wrote:
> Charles de Miramon wrote:
> > For example the shortcuts with the quite obsolete concept of 'Meta'. I
> > think that LyX should show the shortcuts in the same Windowish way that
> > Gnome or KDE. Who is using a Sun keyboard anyway ?
>
> key bindings are all configurable. See $PREFIX/share/lyx/bind. Personally,
> as an emacs fan, I use emacs.bind. I guess you should be using cua.bind.
> Or adapt to suit. Copy the best fit bind file to your $HOME/.lyx/bind
> directory and edit to suit.
>
> > For easing the learning curve for MsWord users, a Tool menu entry with
> > spellchecking, etc. would be be handy.
>
> Like this (attached screen shot) you mean? Again, menus are configurable.
> See $PREFIX/share/lyx/ui/default.ui. The screen shot shows the default
> menus for LyX 1.4.x which are radically different to those of 1.3.x. LyX
> 1.4.x will ship with a 'classic.ui' for those more comfortable with what
> they have now.
>
> >> I am not sure how a plugin based application would solve the LaTeX
> >> support model, actually.
> >
> > If I could write my 300 hundreds line Python script to add a GUI for the
> > Frenchb babel macros that I use every day, maybe I would motivate myself
> > to read the big Python book I bought and never read.... Other would do it
> > for their pet LateX packages and Herbert Voss would create a gigantic
> > pstricks plugin :-).
>
> Yes, as Matej has said already, LyX is lacking good scripting support.
>
> But nonetheless, a plugin needs to interact with the existing kernel. Our
> notion of 'plugin' is an 'inset'. Just as you describe, you need to know
> next to nothing about the rest of the code base to create a new inset.
>
> LyX doesn't use KDE to implement the *core* of the program, but that
> doesn't mean it isn't easy to add functionality to it. Please come and
> join in ;-)

I hope LyX *NEVER* depends on KDE in any way. My personal experience tells me
that KDE is unstable, to the point where I use very few KDE apps. I use Kmail
right now, but am looking for a replacement. Kmail crashes on me regularly.

I've used LyX since 2001, and it's been rock solid stable. I really appreciate
that, and hope it isn't contaminated with DCOPisms and all the other KDE
fluffNbunch.

SteveT

--
Steve Litt
Author:

(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.