Hello Helge,

> On linux, use xpdf which couldn't care less about permissions. I use
> it  to  copy/paste  stuff  out  of  pdf's that are protected against
> copying with acrobat.

> Having "copy protection" enforced by the client is such a joke,
For most technically unsavvy users it's not a joke, I'm afraid =)

> just  use  a client that don't implement it. Anyway, there is no way
> to simultaneously allow reading and prevent copying.
There's  no  way to simultaneously enable SCREEN-reading/accessibility
AND  disable  copying,  if  this  is what you meant =) You can disable
everything,  including copying, but the document WILL be available for
reading.  This, naturally, might only apply to compliant viewers, such
as Acrobat.

Anyway, yeah, I know this "just use xpdf or whatever" trick too.

But  isn't a good pdf viewer supposed to implement the pdf standard to
the  full?  Honor  permissions,  allow  form-filling, text-copying and
encryption? I think yes.

--
WBR,
Andrei Popov