----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: WinInstaller 0.51

----- Original Message ----- From: "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:27 AM

Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

Having also run out of ideas I created a new partition and installed lyx to F:\lyx
Aspell and GSVIEW still installed to C:\
Interestingly InstantPreview now works.

Yes! Very good to hear.

I uninstalled and reinstalled in the usual C:\Program Files\Lyx and it failed

I tried again at C:\Lyx and it worked fine once again. Is this a spaces in path problem (I am using Miktex 2.4.1704) ???

It seems so, I'll test it.
(I use a german Windows where the default path is C:\Programme\LyX)
But anyway, is the Instant preview the only problem when you installed to C:\Program Files\Lyx ?

Geoffrey, that was some good sleuthing work, I admired the ingenuity
and persistence. The documentation for Miktex either flatly states, or
strongly recommends, installing MikTex to a directory without spaces.
I think the defaults are c:\texmf and c:\localtexmf.

Just to clear this up this is a problem with Ghostscript not Miktex.

Using the Angus installer, I have not been able to install to C:\LyX
for 1.3.7pre without the install failing. I suppose though, that if using
Instant preview doesn't work with the Angus installer, installing to
C:\program files\LyX, then that would have been reported. Sometimes
eccentric computer behavior is so subtly causal that it seems like magic.

From my experience Instant Preview will work with the Uwe installer if Lyx
is put in a path without spaces such as C:\Lyx

Everything else appears to work fine wherever you put Lyx.

Like I said this is a Ghostscript not Lyx/Latex issue and they have been informed.

TeXnocratically speaking without the "e",
Stephen