On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Robert Orr wrote:

and when to use the "maintain aspect ratio"

So, on the aspect ratio, when one sets the H or W,
which one of them becomes the dominant variable when
the maintain aspect ratio box is checked?     The H or
the W?

I cant see why one would set both. THe point is if you want you figure to be say 10cm wide, want to maintain the shape, and arent worried about height then you set the width and click 'maintain aspect ratio'

If you are however converned with height and not width do the opposite.

And finally if you want to specify a height/width ratio different from the original figure then enter values for both height and width and leave the 'maintain aspect ratio' box blank.

In order to set the width or height to be calculated in proportion to the aspect ratio set the value to 0 sp.

e.g. I have a 5cm wide 2cm high figure

1) I want it to be 11cm wide on the page. Set width 11cm height 0sp and clivk maitina aspct

2) I want it to be 4cm hgih. Set width 0sp height 200% and selct maintain aspect

3) I wanr it to be 11cm wide and 4cm high. Set width 11cm height 4cm and uncheck maintain aspect.

I hope this is clear

Geoff