One more little experiment, if you don't mind, just to confirm symptoms: if you comment out one of the SET commands in lyx.bat, but replace it with a line of equal length (SET XXX=YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... with enough Xs and Ys to match the line you commented out), does the bug move to a different image (or disappear)?

Ok, it tried this. I commented out SET LC_ALL=en_EN. This resulted in a different image having the preview problem. I placed SET XXXXXX=YYYYY in lyx.bat and the preview problem moved back to the original image. The same happens when I comment out the other line in the lyx.bat.

I also added extra lines in lyx.bat such as SET XXXXXX=YYYYY this however did not make any difference as far as image preview is concerned.

Another puzzling thing is that the preview problem jumps between two specific figures eventhough I have many figures in the document and many of them are generated with Matlab. The preview problem however never affects figures generated with other programs.

Thanks
Leo