LB wrote:

Ok, it tried this. I commented out SET LC_ALL=en_EN. This resulted in a different image having the preview problem. I placed SET XXXXXX=YYYYY in lyx.bat and the preview problem moved back to the original image. The same happens when I comment out the other line in the lyx.bat.

I also added extra lines in lyx.bat such as SET XXXXXX=YYYYY this however did not make any difference as far as image preview is concerned.

This is again confusing, though perhaps no more confusing than the fact that deleting unneeded environment variables (other than LC_ALL and the aiksaurus one) did not help.

Another puzzling thing is that the preview problem jumps between two specific figures eventhough I have many figures in the document and many of them are generated with Matlab. The preview problem however never affects figures generated with other programs.

Is there anything that the names/paths of the two affected figures have in common which is not shared by the other files. For instance, are they the longest paths, do they lie deeper in the directory tree than other figures, ... ?

Stephen's idea of a second Ghostscript installation strikes me as possible but unlikely (and unlikely to be the culprit), since there would need to be something causing ImageMagick to alternate between the two GS installations on a figure-by-figure basis within the document (meaning that something in the figure names/paths would have to be triggering the switching). Also, Mathematica exports EPS without using GS and without installing its own GS, so I suspect the same might be true of MATLAB. Still, the whole bug is unlikely, so we shouldn't presume anything.

It would be nice if we could intercept the call from IM to GS and see what's being passed, but so far I have not figured out how.

/Paul