Stephen Harris wrote:

"The MATLAB Component Runtime (MCR) 7.0 and 7.1 do not contain a
copy of the GhostScript program included with MATLAB. Therefore,
applications deployed on a target machine rely on a locally-
installed version of GhostScript, if one exists, for exporting
some graphics. Since the version of GhostScript installed on the
target machine may be different than the one included with MATLAB,
the command line parameters potentially may be different as well.
This difference causes an error in some instances."

I think this supports the possibility of a Ghostscript conflict and that
Matlab comes with its own version of Gs.

It does indeed. So I agree that hypothetically Leo's MATLAB installation could be generating PS files (using it's own copy of GS) that would be indigestible to LyX->ImageMagick->GS (using a different copy of GS in the last step).

That still raises the question of why those images would be successfully displayed in LyX (same LyX->ImageMagick->GS sequence) if an environment variable is deleted ... unless deletion of the environment variable affected which copy of GS was used (both on the command path?) ... in which case the bug would disappear, not switch to a different image.

All that said, this bug is clearly not playing fair, so it would be a good idea for Leo to check into this just to rule it out.

/Paul