LB wrote:
I think this supports the possibility of a Ghostscript conflict and that
Matlab comes with its own version of Gs.

I actually have three versions of gs.exe. Cygwin has two. One in cygwin\bin directory and one in cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin directory. Matlab has its own version as well. My install of gs (8.14) has two files in bin directory: gswin32.exe and gswin32c.exe

Please suggest what I can do to investigate this further.

Leo

Oops, forgot something. If I understood Stephen's concerns correctly, a second experiment might be in order -- having renamed the "unofficial" GS executables, try reproducing the images from Matlab using the "official" version of GS. (I'm not a Matlab user, so I don't know exactly what this would entail, but you might have to modify some setting in Matlab that holds the path to GS, or you might need the official GS bin directory on the command path, or worst case you might need to copy the official GS files, both executable and library, into the Matlab directory where the Matlab-installed GS currently lives.)

/Paul