Hi, I addressed this in another mail but no one seemed to answer and I
can't really find any posts about how exactly to use this great new
feature in 1.5.0. I'd like to use it for my Sanskrit assignment if I
can to test it out. I've tried it with both Sanskrit text and
Japanese, and both of them said this once I changed the encoding to
UTF8:

Package inputenc Error: unicode char \u8: (character) not set up for
use with LaTeX

Then I tried putting \usepackage{ucs} in the preamble as I saw
something about it in an old LyX post. Now it gives a different error
message, but pretty much the same thing - Package ucs error: Unknown
Unicode character 12399 = U+306F (for example with Japanese hiragana
HA) Then it gives this in the info:

HIRAGANA LETTER HA
Character available with following options:
  cjkjis.
Enter I!<RET> to define the glyph.

Umm, kind of funny that it's saying it doesn't know what the unicode
char is but then goes out and says what it is in the info.

When I do put cjkjis in the options, it doesn't help, it just has a
bunch of "undefined control sequence" errors.

Similar thing for Sanskrit - it whines about putting combine into the
options, but when I do, it just gives me a bunch of "undefined control
sequence" stuff.

I know that 1.5.0 is in its alpha stages but I hope that the final
version makes this stuff a little more transparent for the user - I
wouldn't want to have to hack around with the preamble every time I
play with a new script.