[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,

Someone going under 'LyXWinUser' placed the following on a wiki page called Site.FAQ. That page is intendend for question regarding the use of the wiki, and not issues related to using LyX. So I'm posting the question here, hoping that 'LyXWinUser' will get an answer.

An interesting question is whether LyXWinUser knows about this group, given that he/she posted the question to the wiki. I just took a peek at Site.FAQ and didn't see the question, so I assume you sanitized the page? Perhaps it would make sense to post temporarily a response directing LWU here (and then remove it after some reasonable period, or after LWU posts something here)?

Also, maybe it would help to add something at the top of Site.FAQ directing people here if they have questions not appearing on the FAQ?

With an answer, the question better belongs in e.g. Windows.FAQ.

Not sure if that's a good idea -- fixes for Windows frequently involve mystic runes and the sacrifice of small furry animals, and posting that on the wiki is liable to bring both fundamentalists and PETA down on your neck. ;-)

PPS: Here's the text:

Q:##Q: How to install LyX 1.4.4 successfully for Windows XP?
LyX 1.4.4 was installed for Windows XP (SP2) with LyXWinInstaller (small) but it could not be launched after installation. The pop up message was "too quickly" shown and closed so the error message could not even be seen.
MikTeX 2.4 was installed before LyX 1.4.4.
There is no such file "C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Application Data\lyx1.4.x" but two files: meanings.dat and words.dat in the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Aiksaurus". The attempt for fixing the error using the procedure for LyX 1.4.1 was tried but still unsuccessful.

Any idea on how to launch LyX in Windows XP? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The odds favor a failure of the configuration script, but without the specific error message it's a bit hard to guess what went splat. To see the error message, LWU can open a DOS window, change to the LyX bin directory, and run lyxc.exe there. If it's the dreaded "no text classes" message, then LWU should (a) verify that Python was installed, (b) verify that MikTeX is working and on the command path (running 'latex --version' from the command prompt should do the trick), and (c) change to the ...\Application Data directory and run '<path to python>\python.exe <path to LyX>\Resources\configure.py'. I suspect this is what LWU meant by "the procedure for LyX 1.4.1" but maybe not. If (a) and (b) check out and (c) fails, we need to see the output from (c).

/Paul