Les,
I have been using that manual all along. If that's the best that Lyx &
Co. can do for my layout needs, then I really am doomed. I don't want
to learn latex right now, it's just a learning-curve too far for me.

Forget poetry -- how would you inset a block of text (and it's
subsection title) so that it's deeply indented into the page?

I have tried 2 column mode, but can't figure a way to clear the first column.
I have tried a table (in true old-fashioned html table-design fashion)
with blank columns (to get the indenting), but it seems one can't have
a subsection env. within a table cell.

I thought there may be a boffin out there who can tell me which .inc
or .layout file, and where, and how, to edit so that verse env. simply
uses a larger indent.

Thanks anyway :)

\d