On  7.04.08, Miguel Daniel Rodríguez Magarzo wrote:

> So I don't know what to do, if I should abandon the idea of building a
> master document,since I don't see clearly which advantages it really
> provides. Anyone could point me any?

You will get the advantage of a common document

 * continuous page numbers
 * continuous chapter and section numbers
 * table of contents for the whole document
 * common bibliography section
 * cross-references between different chapters "just work"
 * ...

as well as the advantages of smaller documents

 * faster compiling (i.e. faster preview of just one chapter)
 * faster navigation in a document
 * improved security: a corrupt sub-document does not affect the whole.
 * ...

There are disadvantages as well but this was not the question.

> Besides, the master document has not built-in the sets of child
> documents, has it?

The master document source contains just a link to the child documents.
- this way is it remains a very small file.
The same is used for graphics.

For my thesis, I have a directory structure like

  Diss/
     main.lyx                 % master
     preamble.tex             % used with \input{preamble.tex}
     math-macros.lyx          % included in master and childs (as branch)
     Einleitung/              % chapter 1
       einleitung.lyx         % child document
       plot.eps               % vector graphic, included as is
       photo1.jpg             % pixel graphic, wrapped in eps by LyX
     Grundgleichungen/        % chapter 2
       feldkopplung.svg       % vector graphic, converted to eps by LyX
       impulsfolge.gnuplot    % gnuplot source of a plot
       impulsfolge.eps        % gnuplot eps output, included as is
       ...                    % more supporting files
     ...                      % more chapter subdirectories
     zusammenfassung.lyx      % a chapter without supporting files
     Anhang/                  % appendix
       ...                    % LyX source and supporting files

which will combined be not take more disk space than a corresponding
openoffice or other office-suite file with included graphics.

I can easily pack it in a zip or tar.bz2 archive if I want to move
or store it as a single file.

> Consequently, the whole set of child docs should be
> there forever, if I've understood it rightly.

No, only as long as the master document is there ;-)

GM