Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> I'm totally annoying of installing the Lyx 1.6.
> My system is Windows xp, I have Miktex 2.7 be installed already.
>
> I have tried
> "LyX-1.6.0-1-Installer.exe"
> or
> "LyX-160-4-15-AltInstaller-Small.exe"
> But none of them can be properly installed.
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> Every time during the last period of installing, it will connect to the internet and downloading > something Lyx seems missing.(I think the python will do this, and download it behind the screen).
>
> But it takes *several hours*!!! I can't wait it for too long, So, I just disconnect my networks,
> then, the installation finished.

This was a bad choice. When LyX is installed, its configure script checks the existing LaTeX system. So it asks latex.exe if several LaTeX-packages are available. latex.exe then automatically downloads the missing packages asked by LyX. Depending on your Internet connection, this can indeed take hours (usually it takes 10 minutes with a DSL connection). When you abort this process, you kill the configuration script of LyX and still have an incomplete LaTeX installation and therefore get problems.

So you have to with the time until the downloading and installation is done. The Alternative installer therefore displays the current download and installation state in a console Window.

To speed up the installation a bit I suggest to uninstall MiKTeX _completely_ and reinstall it using the basic MiKTeX installation you can download from here:
http://miktex.org/2.7/setup
(Then you have the latest version that fixed some nasty bugs. Otherwise the lyX installer would do the update for you, but this takes longer than reinstalling MiKTeX.)
Then reinstall LyX and wait the needed time. This is all you can do.

regards Uwe

HI, Uwe, Thank you for your reply, and Thank you for your suggestion.

I have found the problem, and find a way to work around it.

Actually, I first installed the latest version of basic MikTex 2.7 . During setup, I choose the update option in MikTex's Setting dialog "Install missing pages", of ---> "Ask me first".

But when I install the Lyx (both the standard version or the alternative installer), the installer will *automatically* change this option to "Yes". (it seems very strange) So the installation takes a long time if I have a low speed of network or even pending when I have No internet connection.

So, the trick is : (If you have no network or low speed of networks)

1,kill the last step configuration of installation of Lyx.
2,Setting the MikTex update option  *back* to "Ask me first".
3,start Lyx to let it initialize configuration , and When some message box prompt to ask whether downloading missing packages. I always choose "cancel".
4,After step 3, the Lyx can work now.

By the way, Even I make a full installation of "basic MikTex 2.7", there are still several missing packages required by Lyx. Maybe, They can be downloaded when I have a network or a higher speed connection(using the reconfigure menu). But without these "required packages", the Lyx can works well.

I'm struggling with this installation problem for about 24 Hours, All what I can do is "install" and "reinstall" of different packages again and again.... :-( So, you can think how depressed I feel. Anyway, I surely solved this problem at last.