On Wednesday 06 May 2009 09:18:59 am James C. Sutherland wrote:
> On May 6, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
> > On 2009-05-06, James C. Sutherland wrote:
> >> I am trying to create a modified List environment where is counter is
> >> not reset each time the environment begins.  I have created a module
> >> (attached) that does part of this for me - it creates a new
> >> "TaskList"
> >> environment in LyX. However, I cannot seem to get the counter to keep
> >> incrementing - it resets with each instantiation of the environment.
> >
> > You might try the enumitem.module. Search at http://wiki.lyx.org for
> > "enumitem".
> >
> > (Actually, the Counter is re-set in LyX as well (but blue to make
> > sure it is just an internal label), the LaTeX output uses the
> > "enumitem"
> > package.)
> >
> > Günter
>
> I have used the enumitem module.  However, I wanted to change the
> enumeration name ("Task 1" rather than "1").  Also, I wanted to be
> able to have enumeration environments in my document and a special
> "TaskItem" environment that was globally incremented.  The enumitem
> module will not quite allow this.
>
> I think that we could benefit from a detailed description of how to
> create modules, and what all of the knobs mean.  For example, I
> struggled with determining how to set a "LabelType" and "LabelString"
> in LyX.  I never got quite what I wanted: something like "Task 1"
> "Task 2"  etc.  The closest I could get was "Task" or "1" but not a
> string and a counter together.  The compiled output looks fine, but in
> LyX it isn't quite what I would like...

I just learned (on the developers list) that the behavior of the counter in
the Enumerate environment is hardcoded and cannot be modified by modules. My
problem was how to modify the counter strings (from levels 2 on)  from roman
to arabic.  Presumably, the problem discussed here runs into the the same
difficulty.
We non-coders neeed to wait until the developers change the C++ code and make
Enumerate customizable.

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237