Other than being sans serif typefaces, Helvetica (along with Arial)
have little in common with Verdana.

Consulting both Wikipedia and Bringhurst's 'The Elements of
Typographic Style', Helvetica is in the humanist family of typefaces
and was designed in the 1950's, before digital typography. Verdana is
in the realist family of typefaces and was designed and hinted
specifically to be clear at small sizes on a computer screen.

I see that Wikipedia and Bringhurst disagree on the classification of
Helvetica (Wikipedia putting it among the early sans serif or
Grotesque and Bringhurst putting in the humanist family. I think
Bringhurst is probably the more reliable source.)

It can be hard to find typefaces that look excellent on paper and on
screen (and on both Windows and OS X). Sometimes I'll reset a document
in a different typeface when I print it out. The technical documents
I'm producing right now I'm putting in Bera (based on Vera Bitstream,
realist family) as a reasonable compromise.

-- Rich