On 2009-06-16, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> "very difficult to read": you are exaggerating, which is not a good way
> to start a sane discussion.

Agreed.

>> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/18/10-principles-for-readable-web-typography/

> This one is a good reference.

>> * http://www.csarven.ca/web-typography

> This one is quite funny: It is "very difficult to read" with its jagged
> right-border (due to fonts too large with respect to the column width).
> It breaks the flow of reading, making each line "single" within one
> paragraph.

In my browser, this reference is shown with a larger column size
(in letters/line) than the smashingmagazine.

The collumn width changes with the size of the browser window, so
enlarging the window (or closing the bookmarks side bar) should solve
this issue for you too:

> ... Margins depend a lot on the browser
> window size, the screen size...

The jagged right border (raggedright instead of block alignment) is actually
recommended in web design (and also used in example one).

> It also lacks depth in its hierarchy: there seems to be only
> two types of text: standard and and H2/H3 type.

Title + one section level seems appropriate for an article of this size
for me.

> Bad example.

Dont't think so. Rather an example to show that taste and perception
differs a lot.

> "Rules" depend mostly on the content. The rules coming with elyxer look
> like the transcription to the web on scientific papers' rules. When you
> use elyxer to transcribe a paper with 30+ equations (not counting the
> inline ones), it looks "great" and "very easy to read" (on FF3 on XP at
> least).

Agreed.

regards

G√ľnter