On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Nikos
Alexandris<nikos.alexand...@felis.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Rainer:

> Nikos:
>> > Hi Rainer!
>> >
>> > Ehm... I am curious: do you use the "same" document to export once as an
>> > article and once as a presentation? If so, how does it work?
>
> Rainer:
>> Yes. I have two document classes /layouts ( presentation(beamer) and
>> article(beamer) ) and this is the only difference in the two files.
>> When I export it with the article(beamer) class, it is printed as an
>> article, with all ArticleMode insets. When I change it to
>> presentation(beamer) I get a presentation with everything.
>> This is extremely convenient, as I can keep the presentation and the
>> handout in one document / lyx file (which is one of the advantages of
>> beamer).
>
> This sounds like eXtremely convenient. I never thought of this possible.
> If you don't mind to share some small example file, I would appreciate
> you help a lot.
>
> Actually I will right away try to change a beamer presentation I have to
> article(beamer) and see if it is exported without problems.

The only problem I encountered were:
1) presentations I created earliuer, had problems with the paper size.
I copied the content simply into a new document of class
presentation(beamer) and then the article(beamer) also worked.
2)Some (I found only one) options for beamer seem to be causing
problems: the one I found is beamerdefaultoverlayspecification. If you
add the following to the preamble, it works:
\only<presentation>{
  \beamerdefaultoverlayspecification{<+->}
}
Effectively, they are only evaluated for presentations.

Otherwise: straight forward. Try it out: if it does not work, I can
send a small example.

>> > If not, then what's the big deal of giving different names (as one
>> > should do) to your documents (article != presentation).
>

>> (are you using R as well?)
>> Obviously - different documents == different nlyx files == different names
>> at least when they are in the same directory. If they are in different
>> directories, that is not a problem.
>

> Yes, I use R as well :-)
>
> Great piece of information. We should cc to the list, don't you think
> so?

Yes - sorry. Replied accidently only to you. I'll send it to the list as well.

--
Rainer M. Krug, Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology,
Stellenbosch University, South Africa