Rainer M Krug wrote:

> 2) following that, is there a way of creating both at the same time?
> Effectively exporting, renaming, changing, exporting, renaming as a
> script which is executed when I export?

My approach to do this is to include the beamer presentation as a child to
another document, which is of "article (beamer)" class. That way, I get the
presentation by viewing the presentation document only, and the article by
viewing the master (article) file. The only annoying thing is that LyX spits
a warning about differing text classes every time I view the master. The
good news, though, is that you can disable this warning as of forthcoming
LyX 1.6.4.

There are some caveats:
* the preamble content of the presentation, if any, must be copied to the
article preamble as well.
* the article must include an empty frame (this is to trigger some internal
preamble code)

See the attached example article file. It includes the beamer template that
ships with LyX. You might have to adjust the path in the include inset.

HTH,
Jürgen