On 11.08.2009, at 23:48, Phil wrote:

You might also try excel2latex

I can also recommend excel2latex. I used it quite a lot when I was writing my thesis. The nice thing about it is that it also preserves a sensible part of the formattings (e.g., bold headlines, right aligned data, ...). The following process worked pretty well for me:

(1) Open an empty, but compilable LaTeX document (ou may export an empty LyX document to LaTeX to get one) in your favorite text editor.

(2) Use excel2latex to copy the marked part of the Excel table as LaTeX code into the clipboard.

(3) Paste the table into the LaTeX document and save the document.

(4) Import the LaTeX document into LyX.

(5) Copy the table from the imported LyX document into the target document.

Daniel