Dear LyX-Users,

I am on Ubuntu Linux.  If I run lyx from a terminal, then along with
the LyX window I get a terminal where I can see what LyX is thinking
when it generates PDFs, etc.  This is a very useful debugging tool,
but I only need it a relatively small fraction of the time I am using
LyX.

On the other hand, I can never predict when I am going to need it.
And if I run LyX from the Desktop icon, say, then I don't get the
terminal showing LyX's thought processes.  If I get to someplace where
I need the terminal (especially when I am doing something with
Sweave), the only solution I have found is to close LyX and open it up
again with a terminal.

Is there some Linux trick, where I can open LyX, say, from the Desktop
without a terminal, but on-the-fly open up a terminal (or is there
even some other mechanism) to see what LyX is thinking?

Thanks for any help you may have,
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
VoIP: gjke...@ekiga.net
E-mail: gke...@ysu.edu