> You could use emelFM2 as the file manager from which you open your LyX
> documents. It has an integrated output pane that is, for practical
> reasons, a terminal. And you can see all LyX mindwork in it. When not
> needed, you could simply hide the output pane. I would believe Ubuntu
> has a (somewhat dated) emelFM2 binary.
> Liviu

Thanks, Liviu.

I installed emelFM2, and it looks pretty cool.  I am going to need to
play around with it more to learn what all it can do.  But I see the
output pane you mentioned, and it seems to be another method to get
what I was looking for.

Thanks again,
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
VoIP: gjke...@ekiga.net
E-mail: gke...@ysu.edu