Thanks Yago!

It took me about 3 hours, but I exploited the difference between your working
doc and my broken doc (described in the original message (quoted text)). I've
found that LyX tables are really twitchy in regards to vertical alignment of
text and graphics, but came up with these requirements to get them all
centered vertically:

1) Every cell in the row must be set vertically middle
2) Every cell in the row must have a specified width

You notice the subject says "partially solved." The "partially" comes from the
fact that for unknown reasons, some cells have the vertical alignment dropdown
grayed out and you can't change them without a lot of random tweaking around.
I also noticed that sometimes you have to recompile the doc a few times after
implementing the two requirements before the PDF looks right (and yes, I
reload the PDF in acroread every time).

So there's some odd stuff going on that I'll need to research. But for the
time being, I can continue my document, thanks to your providing me with a
working document with which I could experiment.

Thanks very much!

SteveT