Yes, all children are included in the master and all children point back to the
master in Docment.

So the fact that I cannot see all the children when I only open one child (but
not the master) is irregular.  I have this issue with LyX 1.6.5 on both mac and
PC.  Again, I do have files on my computer which are older (i.e. started with
older versions of LyX), which do show the full outline if only one child
document is open....

Puzzled...