Thanks, that did the trick.

I had to install the tex-gyre package. Then...

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Daniel CLEMENT <dcleme...@sfr.fr> wrote:
> > Hum... On the attached .PDF, I do see the ligature between the two
> > "ff" (which I usually miss) and the dashes (which I have).
> >
> > However, I don't see any ligature between "f" and "i", either in "fi" or
> > "ffi".
> >
> > (I am under 1.6.9 so I was unable to open the attached .LYX file.)
> >
> Open in a text file and see the lines in the preamble.

... the \usepackage{tgpagella} allowed me to get nicely linked "ff".

Definitely an improvement. Maybe LyX could load _this_ package for
Palatino fonts, if it just supersedes mathpazo?

> > Could something be wrong/missing with my setup (1.6.9 / Ubuntu Lucid /
> > Evince)?
> >
> On the same set-up I tried with acroread, and there too there's no
> ligature for 'fi'.

This probably makes sense, since the hook of the "f" is very short in
Palatino...

> Regards
> Liviu

[...]