At various spots within a document where paragraphs are separated with indentation, I often have claims, propositions, laws, etc, which I would like formatted flush left with some vertical space before and after. For various reasons, I wish to avoid using the AMS theorem, lemma, etc, environments to do this. I've been using soft returns (command-return on a Mac) -- two above and two below -- but this method results in too much vertical space around the assertion. I could also use normal paragraphing, where I insert a \noindent and adjust the vertical spacing above and below, but this seems cumbersome. Any easier, more systematic methods for this?

Bruce