On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Bruce Pourciau
<bruce.h.pourc...@lawrence.edu> wrote:
> At various spots within a document where paragraphs are separated with
> indentation, I often have claims, propositions, laws, etc, which I would
> like formatted flush left with some vertical space before and after. For
> various reasons, I wish to avoid using the AMS theorem, lemma, etc,
> environments to do this. I've been using soft returns (command-return on a
> Mac) -- two above and two below -- but this method results in too much
> vertical space around the assertion. I could also use normal paragraphing,
> where I insert a \noindent and adjust the vertical spacing above and below,
> but this seems cumbersome. Any easier, more systematic methods for this?

You could come up with a new LaTeX command/environment and then hack a
corresponding module in LyX; just configure the thingy once, as you
prefer it to be, and then use the beauty of LaTeX and LyX. But Steve
should have more to say about this. (Hint: perform a search on his
site [1] as I'm pretty sure he has some poetry on the subject.)
[1] http://www.troubleshooters.com/troubleshooters.htm

A less LaTeX-ish way of doing things would be to insert a vertical
space (Insert > Formatting > V space), adjust the dimensions once, to
your liking, and then copy and paste every time you need it.

Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?