On 11. aug. 2011 10:03, ehud.kap...@gmail.com wrote:
I have discovered that the new Ubuntu 11.04 GUI Unity (or perhaps its
appmenu) kills the menus on Lyx 2.0 (and several other programs, such as
VLC), possibly because of a qt4 incompatibility. The bug has been known
for almost a year. Does anyone have a way of getting around it, short of
using gnome instead of Unity?
Thanks,

If unity has a bug, contact the unity developers. If they are slow in
fixing it - consider using other software.

Gnome is not the only other alternative to unity. Use google or
apt-cache search window manager
to find the many window manager alternatives. Try them out, see if you like one that works. I use icewm, and like it because it starts in a second or so. (I don't want to wait 5s after logging in...)

Helge Hafting