Problem solved :-)

Thanks to everyone, and particularly to Julio for pointing me in the
right direction. As he guessed, the problem was not with Lyx, but with
the environment that Kde works with. I always launch my applications
from Krunner (the little Kde app that offer a command line-like
mini-screen). After a lot of searching, I discovered that:

1. Krunner uses the PATH variables set by startkde (the script that
starts the KDE desktop)

2. startkde does two things, path-wise:
   a - first it uses the PATH settings it inherits from the process it
is run from;
   b - then it looks for executable (i.e scripts) files in kde's  /env
 directories (e.g. in $HOME/.kde4/env and other env dirs system wide)
   c - it runs any executable files it finds

3. To align the PATH variable in a bash shell (which I set in .profile
and .bash_profile) with krunner's, I wrote a one-line file which
exports  the correct path, called it profile.sh, made it executable,
and put it in a newly created  dir ~HOME/.kde4/env

after logging out and restarting kde, lyx now finds TL2011 when
launched  from a shell and from Krunner.

Thanks to everyone.

Cheers,

Stefano

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Paul Rubin <ru...@msu.edu> wrote:
> In LyX, could Tools > Preferences > Paths > PATH prefix be pointing to the old
> version?
>
> Paul

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA