On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, stefano franchi wrote:

   I am sure this question has been asked before, but searching the list
and the wiki did not produce any result. (please redirect me to the
correct place if I am wrong. Or enlighten me and I'll a dd a wiki page if
none exists).

Stefano,

  I don't have a generic answer but can write that I've had no problems
upgrading TeXLive. I run Slackware and there's a SlackBuild script that
correctly compiles everthing. Of course, one compressed source file is 1.2G
in size so it takes a while to download, and the build also takes a long
time, a lot of disk space (about 5G), and strsses the CPU.

  But, when the package is built, I upgrade the installation, then invoke
LyX to check. It fires right up and works without any involvement by me.

Rich