-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Images & Directories
Date:   Fri, 24 Feb 2012 02:05:07 +0200
From:   BOB Merhebi <bobmerh...@gmail.com>
To:     Jacob Bishop <bishop.ja...@gmail.com>

Hello Jacob,

On Wed 22 Feb 2012 02:48:35 AM EET, Jacob Bishop wrote:
> Bob,
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM, BOB Merhebi <bobmerh...@gmail.com
> <mailto:bobmerh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>     Indeed, that's what I do too. I have a folder -call it A- inside of
>     which there are 3 folders (one for figures -B-, one for my report
>     -C- &
>     another for my beamer -presentation -D-). I use the figure folder for
>     both the report & the beamer. But if I rename A, the images links are
>     broken.!
>

> Interesting. I just did a simple test on LyX 2.0 with the exact
> example you provided, and I do not experience that problem. Renaming
> or moving A causes absolutely no issue for me.

I did not mention that I'm using LyX 1.6.7 on a Linux Lucid!

> The only thing I can think of is that you might be using absolute
> rather than relative paths. I wouldn't initially think this is the
> problem, because I know that LyX uses relative paths by default.

Honestly, I am not aware of what you're talking about! Never heard of
abs/rel paths.

> However, it's the only logical explanation I can come up with for the
> behavior you're describing (Which I am not able to reproduce). You
> should not have to explicitly provide relative paths, but why don't
> you try that and see if it resolves the problem?
>
> If you understand relative paths vs. complete paths, you can skip this
> explanation and try that. Otherwise, I will try to explain using the
> folder setup you gave. Your report is in -C-, which is in -A-. Your
> figures are in -B-, which is also in -A-. When you insert an image and
> it puts in the complete path, then it's something like
> "C:\Users\YourName\A\B\someFigure.png" and that is a problem. If you
> rename A to Alpha, you have the problem that when LyX looks for your
> image in "C:\Users\YourName\A\B\someFigure.png" it will find nothing
> because "C:\Users\YourName\A\B\someFigure.png" does not exist (because
> A does not exist). It should be looking in
> "C:\Users\YourName\Alpha\B\someFigure.png" That's the problem.
>
> The solution is to use relative paths.  You can explicitly use a
> relative path by specifying it in the textbox that comes up under
> input->graphics. If an absolute path is listed there, that is likely
> the problem. So, if you're in C, you can change the path in the figure
> reference to "..\B\someFigure.png" (which is a relative path) rather
> than "C:\Users\YourName\A\B\someFigure.png" (which is a complete
> path). This means that LyX simply checks up one directory, then tries
> to move down, not caring what drive we're on, or what the master
> folder is named, since it never reaches that point in the tree.

I think I catch what you mean.
In my version: under the "Graphics" tab, "File". I tried it but still
the image breaks!
I just checked
this:http://lyx.475766.n2.nabble.com/How-to-stop-Figure-location-broken-when-I-open-file-in-different-computer-td480875.html
In the third post, it says that the images should be at the same level
or below that of the lyx file?

I also checked this:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/66263
& then this: http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/RelativeFiguresLocation

I tried all but none worked except the last (after relocating my
figures folder within the lyx folder). It worked :D

I guess having the figures folder on the same level doesn't work with
1.6.7

> If you're using relative paths and still have the problem, then I'm
> stumped. Hope this helps.
>
> Jacob

Thank you Jacob :D You saved me loads of to-come waste of time.

--
Sincerely Yours,
-Merhebi, Bob

Thunderbird Signature