I forgot to mention one "minus", btw:

Compared to XML, with LyX/LaTeX you can't *enforce* compliance of
documents with a given structure, like with XML schemas and validating
editors. That can be a nuisance in an environment with several authors.

> I literally cannot use Word or its clones for anything other than
> reading what someone else wrote.

I use LO mostly to convert MS-formats to PDF.

> I don't know how to make anything look right using Word.

No one *can* "make anything look right using Word". This is strictly
impossible. And I know what I'm talking about, I've been using dozens
of "document processing" applications over ~25 years now.

Applications like e.g. Wordperfect or Framemaker allow you to at least
use structure markup, with MS Word even that won't work.

And don't even dream of readable output.

Since all the typographic algorithms of TeX (linebreaking etc.) are
well-documented open-source, I always wondered why none of the more
reasonable document processors has ever implemented them. Wordperfect
could have been a "killer application" like that. Their structure markup
concept was so well done that they were even able to implement an XML
editor using the WP GUI.

> For classroom slides I use beamer -- makes it trivial to do.

For beamer I still prefer Texworks. The last time I tried, I couldn't
get the overlays to work *exactly* the way I wanted them with LyX, this
is one thing that's just much easier with a source-level editor.

I do use LyX to write the content first, then export to LaTeX and
add the overlays in TexWorks.

> But with LyX I can see what I am doing, with properly typeset
> equations, so I can think while I am writing.

That's what I call "syntax hiding" (as opposed to
"syntax-highlighting").

\prayermill{

Just sometimes I wish I could optionally display the source *and edit*
it.

}

Sincerely,

Wolfgang