On Aug 23, 2013, at 7:28 AM, Les Denham <lden...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:26:31 -0700
> Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:16 AM, Les Denham <lden...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>>> Jerry,
>>>
>>> One of the inevitable problems. Try changing the .xhtml file
>>> extension to .html. I think you can also delve into the advanced
>>> settings of LibreOffice to tell it to treat .xhtml files as HTML.
>>>
>>> Les
>>
>> Les, thanks for that tip, but it didn't change anything--still raw
>> text, either with a document with a few equations (and thus MathML in
>> the XHTML file) or just a simple file containing only the word
>> "Hello".
>>
>> FWIW, when I do open the (x)html file, I get a dialog asking for
>> Character set (default = UTF-8), Default fonts (default = Times New
>> Roman), Language (default = English (US)) and Paragraph break
>> (default = LF). I accepted all the defaults. So it looks at that
>> point like something is about to happen, but then I see only raw
>> text.
>>
>> I also looked at Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> HTML Compatibility
>> but didn't see anything relevant.
>>
>> Jerry
>
> Jerry,
>
> Sorry, I left out one step: before opening the file in LibreOffice,
> open in a text editor and delete the first line (the one that looks
> like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>). Save it and then
> import into LO.
>
> Les

Thanks, Les (and Alan). That fixes the import problem.

I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see that LibreOffice (actually,
NeoOffice, a Macintized version of OpenOffice) does not render the math which
comes over as MathML.

Firefox and recent versions of Safari (apparently at the WebKit level) do a
passable job of rendering the math in a browser. "Passable" means easily
readable and mathematically correct but not up to TeX standards.

The new (4.0 IIRC) version of LibreOffice had problems on the Mac so I deleted
it for the time being. Maybe LO does the math.

As I ramble more...OpenOffice and LibreOffice leave giant white space on both
sides of in-line math--completely unacceptable. And it seems impossible to
understand the math syntax until one accidentally discovers that it is based on
nroff or troff I'm not sure which because I don't care that much.

Jerry