Stephano has replied, but he has not used MikTeX and doesn't use windows.
Combining that with my near complete ignorance he has quite sensibly
suggested I try to find out about installing packages with MikTeX.

Having so far managed to produce a pretty impressive document (if only by
weight) in LyX I am quite keen to keep it up and finish it in LyX if I can.

Mark

Have you managed to produce a pdf version of your document? If you have then you most likely already have MiKTeX installed on your system. Go to the Start button, click on All Programs and scan down the list to MiKTeX, click on that, then on Maintenance, then on Package Manager. Scan down the list of packages until you come to minitoc. If it is already installed there will be a date in the "Installed on" column. If not, select minitoc and click the + button, upper left of the package manager window. Assuming you are currently connected to the internet, the minitoc package will be downloaded and installed for you.

I omitted one item in the recipe for using minitoc in my previous posting. The sequence is this:

1. Add \usepackage{minitoc} to your document preamble

2. Insert \dominitoc in ERT (or TeX code) *before* your document's table of contents

3. After each chapter heading insert \minitoc in ERT

That's it. All the rest is tinkering or catering for special circumstances. The minitoc documentation is large, but only the first two chapters are relevant to the user.

Andrew