Hi Justin,

It's a very bad practice to put working documents anywhere in your
Applications folder (among other things the permissions won't be correct).
The Applications folder belongs to the system and should be reserved for
applications. Put your own documents somewhere in your home directory.

You might drop the xetexCV-LyX folder containing the four files for the
Tolkien CV example into your Documents folder. Then the path for the image
on your machine would be:

/Users/justinJustin/Documents/xetexCV-LyX/JRR-Tolkien.jpg

(Please note that the LaTeX Preamble for the example LyX file has an
explicit comment: "The Image Path Cannot Include Spaces". The path you were
trying to use included spaces.)

I also got the 'unknown token' error when I first started playing with this
example file. It went away once I set the document to use fonts actually
installed on my system.

Your installation is defaulting to using a DVI output, which you probably
don't want or need to mess with. If you look under the View menu in LyX
with the example file loaded, the default (which is bound to Command-R and
to the 'eyes' icon on the toolbar) is set to DVI something (probably
LuaTeX). Set the document to explicitly use PDF (XeTeX) in Document ->
Settings -> Output -> Default Output Format. Once you have taken care of
the other problems and can successfully typeset the example file, the pdf
should automatically open in whatever you have set as a default pdf viewer
(probably Preview).

The font errors you're getting mean that the fonts you installed don't have
the correct sizing information for the way they're being used in this
document. Two things to try:

1. Try specifying other fonts already installed on your system. Note that
working through XeTeX, LyX has no way to determine which fonts are Serif
(Roman) and which are Sans Serif so it just lists them all. Use FontBook to
examine the fonts you have installed.

2. I bet you installed Type1 Fontin fonts because that's what the font
designer advised on his downloads page. Ignore that advice. Using FontBook
remove the Type1 fonts then download and install the OpenType ones instead.

And yes, use the Fontin Regular for Roman and Fontin Sans Regular for Sans.
That's what the xetexCV class was designed around and gives a very nice
result.

-- Rich