Jürgen Spitzmüller <spitz <at> lyx.org> writes:

> Note, though, that BibTeX (or Biblatex) can only parse the name properly
without any braces, and if it given in one of the following three
forms:"First von Last"
> "von Last, First""von Last, Jr, First"

Jürgen,

By "parse properly", do you mean that the use of braces may override the
design of the .bst file, or is there more to it (such as creating problems
with spacing)? My usage patterns in the past may have been somewhat
atypical. I would write for journals that do not have a .bst file (and may
not accept LaTeX submissions), so I would use a "convenience" .bst file
(such as plainnat) and override the formatting of name prefixes using braces.

I found a somewhat helpful PDF file at
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb27-2/tb87hufflen.pdf; at least it clarifies
"von" v. "Von". I'm not entirely sure if there is a definitive proper choice
between "von Kleist, Heinrich" and "Kleist, Heinrich von", although I
personally prefer the former.

Paul