(please, always respond to the list---other users may help or find the
discussion helpful)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM, William Hanson <whan...@umn.edu> wrote:

> You're right, the file I uploaded to the Springer site did not include my
> bibliography.  Alas!  But now I have more questions.  Using your numbering:
>
> 1. Which of the various LaTeX export options should I choose?

That depends on what TeX engine you are using (pdfteX, XeTeX, LuaTeX). If
you don't know what I am taking about, it is safe to assume you are using
the default engine (pdfTeX). Choose either File>>Export>>LaTeX(plain)  or
File>>Export>>LaTeX(pdfLaTeX). Either should work.

> And how do I export TO something like myfile.tex?  When I choose one of
> the Exports from the file menu I don't get to choose a file name or a
> destination.

LyX chooses filename and destination for you: you get a file with exactly
the same filename as your lyx file, in the same directory. The only
difference will be the extension, which is changed from .lyx to .tex. For
instance, if yo are working on "MyGreatPaperForSpringer.lyx", you will find
a file called "MyGreatPaperforSpringer.tex" in the same directory where the
.lyx file is.

And I get a warning that the filename it says it's working with can cause
> trouble.

You probably have spaces in the filename and/or the directory structure.
Never a good idea when working with pure LaTeX from the command line. LyX
takes  care of this problem when you compile a LyX file, but you are on
your own when using LaTeX yourself. Better to rename the files (and/or
directories) without spaces before exporting to LaTeX

> 2 & 3.  I'm not sure I have the programs you mention.  Are they part of
> LyX?

The are part of your TeX installation (TexLive, or MacTeX, or MikTeX,
depending on whether you are on Linux, Mac, or Windows, respectively). LyX
can't produce pdf files without TeX, so, yes, if you have ever produced a
pdf file with LyX, you definitely have all these programs. You just never
see them, because it is LyX that calls them, not you.

The only program you need in addition to those provided by TeX is a plain
text editor. You certainly have one on your system. It may be as
sophisticated as emacs or as simple as textedit.  It does not matter, since
you will be using the most basic functionality (cut and paste). I don't
know which platform you are on, so I can't direct you to a specific
program. But I can guarantee you will have one installed already.  Just
don't use a word processor (Word, LibreOffice, etc.) to open your tex and
bbl files. The will most likely save them in a non-text format (doc, odt,
etc.) that will mess up everything. There are ways to force
Word/Libreoffice to work as text editors, but if you know how to do that,
then you don't need any help on editors...

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org