I'm still not quite sure why all the USB to Serial converters end in 9-pin male - so you need another cable to connect to pretty much anything. Is there a reason why a null-modem configuration with a 9-pin female isn't the norm? I can't think of one. 95% of people buying one of these things probably wants that configuration surely.

Mark.