Well, my primary use of usb serial ports is not for connecting another
computer (DTE wired equipment) but for connecting to serial-controlled
audio visual gear (DCE wired equipment). The point of a usb serial adapter
is to give you that serial port your laptop is missing... so it should be
male and wired DTE. If you need to connect to other DTE equipment, you need
a cable.