Depends on whether you consider the M100 to be "communications equipment"
or "terminal equipment". From the perspective of "this is a device to be
hooked up to your main PC" then female makes sense, somewhere. But I think
the port is wired as terminal equipment, which then puts it (technically)
in error.

Oh well :)