I swapped to NiMH for my replacements mainly because NiCd was hard to find.
Before doing so I did some research on manufacturer recommendations.  This doc
is pretty good http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf  If
you look at the Recommended Charging Rates section (pg 11) it gives this
recommendation on trickle charging:

'Finally a maintenance (or trickle) charge rate of less than 0.025C (C/40) is
recommended. The use of very small trickle charges is preferred to reduce the
negative effects overcharging.’

The NiMH and NiCd self-discharge very badly so if the trickle charge < self
discharge rate things should be fine.

Looking at the charge circuit on the M100 it is basically a series diode,
resistor (1.8K) and the battery.  If the battery is at 0V the max current is
~2mA,  at full charge (3.7V) the current is ~300uA.   Based on the
recommendations of Energizer the charge should be <C/40 for a trickle charge.
The battery is ~60mAh, which gives ~1.5mA trickle or maintenance charge well
above that produced in the M100, in fact the NiMH might sell discharge at that
rate.   So I went ahead and updated the batteries.

If you trickle charge at very high rates then NiMH might fail earlier but so
too would NiCd.   The initial charge might be slower for NiMH compared to NiCd
but that is not really an issue in this application it is merely acting as a
backup battery.

From: M100
<m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com<mailto:m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com>>
on behalf of George Michael Rimakis