Hello,

J.Anderson wrote:

One thing I wanted to ask: you mentioned patching it to respond to the M100
cursor keys - did you replace the Ctrl-E,S,D,X key sequences or did you find
somewhere to add the M100 cursor key codes in addition?  One of the things I've
always loved about WordStar is the ability to do most things without taking my
hands off the home position on the keyboard, one-handed cursor movement with
Ctrl and the ten keys closest to it makes it such a breeze to use.  It would be
nice to add the ability to use the M100 cursor keys but not if it meant
replacing the default Ctrl sequences.
------------------------

I used a document called 'Wordstar Customization Notes' that was for 3.0.  The
addresses mentioned in that document don't agree with 3.3 but they are close
and the structure seems to be the same.  Wordstar has a table of key codes
(like control-s) and then an address, in an area called user 3 in the document.
 One has to look at the table and figure out what the address is for
cursor-left (it is by the control-s) and then in the blank area at the end,
make a new entry for the left arrow and the address from the control-s entry.
Some of the already-progammed ones have to be changed, like backspace, if you
want it to do something else.  I kept the control-whatever commands and put in
new ones for the cursor. The backspace got re-programmed to delete going back,
del (shift bs on the m100) deletes the char. under the cursor.

I think I wrote down the addresses of what I changed, but it is in another
computer, or I might have written it with Wordstar (i.e. it is in the M100).
There are some really odd things in those customization notes.  I made a
version (a long time ago) that could print with a proportional wheel on my
diablo printer, and I entered the width of all the characters in a table (a
different user area).  But if you want my notes, or even the patched version,
just let me know.

That said, there is a blank area where one can enter key codes and the address
to where the program jumps, called user3 in the document.

I think wordstar 4.0 had a different code base (they re-wrote a lot or it might
have been Newstar(???) re-packaged), and I've never looked at it.

Re the user command in CPM, you get back to user 0 if it has to re-load the
CCP, since some programs will use that space.  Control-c (what you had to type
if you changed diskettes) at the program prompt will take you to user 0.  A
jump to 0000 will also set you back into user 0.

Jonathan

jonathan.y...@mykopat.slu.se