Correct.  Here's the results of both scenarios, using NEC emulation mode in
VirtualT:

* When you attempt to load an ASCII BASIC program that is "improperly"
named as a ".BA" file, the NEC emulation mode just hangs, and upon a Reset,
you get a cold start.  But this all makes sense; due to lack of an NEC
tokenizer, who knows what VirtualT is trying to do.
* When you attempt to load a tokenized BASIC program that is properly named
as a .BA file, you get "Ill formed BASIC file".  This hasn't ever made
sense to me as it could be treated as a binary file.

Gary.