Hi David,
Have you used Numbers recently? I'm really impressed with the latest version of
Numbers. I have always been a big fan of Microsoft Excel and kept a Windows
computer around for a while after getting my Mac mainly to use Excel. However,
now I prefer Numbers. You might need to play with it a little to learn how it
works, but once you do I reckon you to will prefer it and no longer need to
view spreadsheets as HTML. Also, Numbers works really well on the iPad—in many
ways better then the Mac, at least for using spreadsheets rather than creating
them.
Having said that, I agree with Anne. An iPad would be a great supplement to a
netbook, but for your needs I don't think it would completely replace it for
the reasons you've mentioned. The iPad is fine to use when you have a bit of
time to play with, but in a meeting when there's a lot going on I think you'd
prefer the comfort of a computer you're familiar with and a keyboard. I
certainly won't be giving up my Mac for many years to come, if ever.
Best,
Nic