Gregg Eshelman wrote:

>> Got Duke Nukem Atomic Edition 1.4 or 1.5?
>> There's a 1.4 to 1.5 patch here.
>> http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/index.html

Hello Gregg, thanks for taking the time to reply.

My DOS copy of Duke Nukem 3D is 1.3D and I think it's the original DN
3D, not Atomic, nor has been upgraded.

>> If you have some version less than 1.3d then there's
>> no update patch there, you'll have to dig it up
>> somewhere else.
>>
>> The Plutonium Pak was the Atomic Edition upgrade for
>> version 1.3d. (Plutonium Pak is discontinued.)
>>
>> There's also a PCI soundcard crash patch, but I dunno
>> if your VPC is emulating an ISA or PCI noisemaker.

Good question. Not even the manual gives that info in it's tech specs,
other than it emulates Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro including
emulation of Yamaha OPL2 chips and CT1345 mixer.

>> Or you could just dig up the Macintosh version from
>> MacSoft, but I dunno if that's just the regular
>> or the Atomic Edition.

I could, but I'm more than happy with the DOS version and can play this
on more suitable equipment including an Apple DOS card. My original post
was more about my surprise at finding a program that VPC vers 2 doesn't
want to know about, rather than actually wanting to play DN 3D under
VPC2 or on the Mac - I guess there are programs that won't run under VPC
but most things I've thrown at VPC just seem to work, albeit slowly. My
feeling is that DN 3D doesn't like VPC 2's S3 video emulation as the
crash appears to be video based. I should write down the error messages
as it dumps to screen. Darren say's Duke runs under DOS on VPC 3, so
maybe some video issues were worked out between these versions.

>> If you're a real die-hard Duke Nukem fan, you'll
>> need a Mac, a PC to run Windows and DOS, a Gameboy
>> Advance, a Playstation 2, a Nintendo 64, and a
>> SEGA Dreamcast in order to play absolutely every
>> version of the Duke that's ever been made.
>> (No, I don't have any of those except the Mac and PC.)

I'm a [very] late starter  I've been playing Duke in earnest for just
over a week! I'm still on the 1st episode, now at level 5. It's getting
really difficult - haven't resorted to cheating so far [but have had to
look for some hints on-line]. Have just scored my 1st jet-pack and am
somewhere in the abyss wondering WTF is going on here  An excellent
and entertaining game.

>> FYI: In Duke Nukem 2 you can enable both the
>> Soundblaster and Adlib sound FX for a much "fuller"
>> sound to all the non-music audio. DN2 is the only
>> game I've ever seen that allows this.
>>
>> A good wavetable soundcard (or soft wavetable
>> available to DOS games running under Windows) will
>> drastically improve the MIDI music. I upgraded the
>> Aztech card I had at the time with their hardware
>> wavetable option specifically for Duke Nukem 2.

OK. Thanks for the good oil

Mike