Hi,
   Could this be usefull to you. Burks is a great site. Can even be bought
in total on cdrom although this might stop soon. I missed the first parts
of your post but hope I'm not repeating things.

     http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/software/misc/index.htm

     The page calls it
                   lfnble10.zip         A utility which enables old Windows 3.1
programs running on Windows to use               long filenames.
      It's an 88K zip.

                 Regards Steve Jarvis