Listers,

I have a beige G3, into which I'd like to add an Apple PC Compatibility
card. It's the 166MHz. version, and supports SoundBlaster. The sound signals
run through the CD-ROM drive circuitry: one cable runs from the card to the
CD-ROM drive, another cable runs from the card to the CD-ROM sound connector
on the motherboard.

Here's my problem: the card was made for the 7200-7600 series, and the sound
cables are for a SCSI CD-ROM drive. The beige G3 has an IDE CD-ROM drive,
and the sound cables don't fit.

I have some IDE CD-ROM sound cables. Would it be possible to splice an IDE
cable connector on to a SCSI cable? If so, how would I match the wires up?
(The IDE and SCSI connectors each have three wires: white, red, and black.
But, the three wires are in different positions on the four-space connector.
One space on the connector is unused, but it's a different space on the SCSI
and IDE connectors.)

Obviously, I have no idea if this would work; the voltages and signals might
not be compatible. And I'd hate to cut the cables unless there's a good
chance this would be successful.

I suppose I could always install a SCSI CD-ROM drive--but then I might not
be able to reinstall Mac OS X if needed (the beige is set up to dual-boot OS
9 and OS X). IIRC, the OS X installer has to run from an IDE CD-ROM.
Besides, the sound connector on the motherboard would still be IDE.

Anyone have any experience with this? TIA.